Atlanta Students Sickened by Carbon Monoxide


Posted on: December 3rd, 2012 by ABC News No Comments

File photo. Creatas/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) — A carbon monoxide leak has sickened dozens of students and triggered the evacuation of a southwest Atlanta elementary school.

Upon arriving at Finch Elementary School on Monday, firefighters found four students and two adults unconscious. At least 29 students and five adults were rushed to the hospital.

Local fire officials say that at 1700 parts per million — nearly 50 times the allowable amount for industrial workers — Monday’s leak is the highest level of carbon monoxide they have ever dealt with. It’s a level that can be considered deadly.

“We’re talking about a very toxic environment,” said Stephanie Han of the Georgia Poison Control Center.

The cause of the leak is still unknown.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.