North Korea Launches Long-Range Missile


Posted on: December 11th, 2012 by ABC News No Comments

PEDRO UGARTE/AFP/Getty Images(SEOUL, South Korea) — North Korea has launched a long-range rocket despite international calls to abandon the effort, U.S., South Korean and Japanese officials said Wednesday.

A South Korean military official confirmed that one of their three warships equipped with Aegis radar system detected the launch. The first stage fell just below Byunsan, southwest of the Korean peninsula, exactly where it was supposed to, according to the official.

Japanese chief government spokesman Osamu Fujimura said the launch occurred at 9:49 a.m. and the rocket passed over Okinawa at 10:01 am.

A U.S. official also confirmed the launch.

The secretive regime had been saying it would launch the rocket, but over the weekend announced plans of a possible delay due to “unspecified reasons.”

North Korea has insisted the launch is simply part of an effort to develop a peaceful space program and place a satellite into orbit. But the U.S. and other key allies, including China and Russia — which traditionally support North Korea — believe it is a thinly disguised attempt to test an intercontinental ballistic missile.

With further development, such technology could be used to develop a missile that could one day reach the United States.

Official state media blamed the delay on a technical glitch. A statement from the Korean Committee of Space Technology claimed Monday that scientists and technicians “found a technical deficiency in the first-stage control engine module of the rocket carrying the satellite.”

Satellite images also revealed that a new third-stage booster was delivered to the launch pad on Saturday.

It was not yet clear Tuesday whether they had succeeded in separating the third stage of the rocket. In 1998 and in 2009 they succeed in separating the second stage. In 2006 and in April 2012 both launch attempts failed only minutes after liftoff.

If they succeed in separating the third stage, the rocket could reach as far as Los Angeles.

The United States has mobilized four warships in the Asia-Pacific region to monitor and possibly shoot down the launch. The guided missile destroyer the USS John S. McCain and the guided missile cruiser the USS Shiloh join the USS Benfold and USS Fitzgerald, also guided missile destroyers, to “reassure allies in the region” according to officials.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.