Explosion That Injured at Least 29 an ‘Intentional Act,’ New York City Mayor Says
Paul Blake/ABC News(NEW YORK) — An explosion in New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood injured at least 29 people, according to city officials, and a possible second device was located several blocks away.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said investigators believe it was an intentional act, but said there appeared to be no link to terrorism.
There were 29 injuries, one serious, according to the mayor.
The explosion was reported shortly before 9 p.m. on 23rd Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues, according to police.
A source said authorities have already reviewed surveillance video showing the explosion in or near a garbage receptacle, and they are scrubbing it for clues.
Two law enforcement sources said the explosion occurred in a dumpster, and the NYPD Counterterrorism Bureau tweeted a photo of a mangled dumpster, after tweeting that they were responding to an explosion at West 23rd Street and Sixth Avenue.
— NYPDCounterterrorism (@NYPDCT) September 18, 2016
The New York Police Department Bomb Squad was searching the area, checking garbage cans, for any other possible explosive devices.
The NYPD Special Operations Division tweeted at around 11 p.m. that a “possible secondary device” was located at 27th Street.
— NYPD Special Ops (@NYPDSpecialops) September 18, 2016
A White House official said President Obama had been briefed on the situation, and would receive updates as the investigation continued.
This is a developing story. Check back for more.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.