First Airstrikes on Aleppo Reported Since Ceasefire


Posted on: September 18th, 2016 by ABC News No Comments

iStock/Thinkstock(ALEPPO, Syria) — The first airstrikes have been reported on rebel-held parts of Aleppo, Syria, since last week’s ceasefire went into effect, activists said according to BBC.

There were several injuries from the four strikes Sunday, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, but it was unclear who carried out the strikes.

Sunday’s airstrikes mark the first signs the nationwide ceasefire in Syria between the U.S. and Russia is unraveling, particularly after the U.S. carried out an “unintentional” strike that hit Syrian government soldiers Saturday. The Russian Defense Ministry said 60 Syrian regime troops were killed, and 100 more wounded.

Russia and Syria accused the U.S. of working with ISIS because of the attack. A senior defense official told ABC News the target was a collection of vehicles and personnel that had been tracked by intelligence for a couple of days and were believed to be ISIS.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.