NC Police Release Full Videos from Keith Scott Shooting
iStock/Thinkstock(CHARLOTTE, N.C.) — Police in Charlotte, North Carolina, released Tuesday the entirety of the dash-cam and body-cam videos from the deadly officer-involved shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.
Protesters had demanded the full videos be released to the public since the Sept. 20 shooting in an apartment complex parking lot that left 43-year-old Scott dead. Police say Scott was armed and a gun was recovered.
Some videos from the deadly shooting were released to the public on Sept. 24. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police, who said last week that they would release the full videos once Scott’s family reviewed them — said Tuesday that the family has now reviewed the videos.
Police said Tuesday the released body-cam footage spans from “the moment it was turned on until officers began rendering first aid.” Approximately the first 20 seconds of the body-cam video shows before Scott is shot, as officers point guns at him. The rest of the over 16-minute long body-cam video is after Scott is shot. The graphic video shows Scott handcuffed and bleeding, lying on the ground as police render aid.
Police also released dash-cam video, 911 call audio and the radio traffic from officers at the scene.
Scott family attorney Justin Bamberg this evening called the footage “difficult to watch.”
“You see him handcuffed. You see a human being, a father, a husband, lose his life,” Bamberg said. “That is extremely hard to watch but that is the reality of these situations.”
Bamberg called this a “perfect example of why law enforcement has to be sure before they pull the trigger, and why the use of deadly force has to always be a last resort and not a first resort.”
Bamberg said there was no evidence Scott had a gun.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.