"House of Cards" crew member complained about Kevin Spacey five years ago
Netflix/Pete Souza(LOS ANGELES) — Media Rights Capital and Netflix, the studios behind House of Cards, told ABC News in separate statements that a complaint was made about the show’s star, Kevin Spacey, five years ago.
MRC claimed in a statement that after someone complained about “a specific remark and gesture made by Kevin Spacey,” the actor, “willingly participated in a training process” and all parties were satisfied with the prompt resolution of the issue.
No other complaints were received after that, MRC added.
A representative for Spacey did not immediately respond to a request for comment from ABC News.
In its own statement Netflix said it “was just made aware of one incident, five years ago, that we were informed was resolved swiftly,” adding, “On Tuesday, in collaboration with MRC, we suspended production, knowing that Kevin Spacey wasn’t scheduled to work until Wednesday. Netflix is not aware of any other incidents involving Kevin Spacey on-set.”
The news comes in light of an unconfirmed report from CNN, in which eight unnamed sources claimed that the actor harassed them on set. One person alleged that the actor sexually assaulted him.
“We are deeply troubled to learn about these new allegations that are being made to the press concerning Kevin Spacey’s interaction with members of the crew of House of Cards,” MRC added in its statement. “We have consistently reinforced the importance of employees reporting any incident without fear of retaliation and we have investigated and taken appropriate actions following any complaints.”
On Sunday, Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making a sexual advance towards him when he was 14. Spacey tweeted a statement shortly thereafter, in which he said he did not remember the incident, but apologized to Rapp for, “what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.”
On Thursday, MRC revealed that earlier in the week, the studio had installed an anonymous complaint hotline and brought in crisis counselors and sexual harassment legal advisers for the crew as well.
In related news, ABC News has confirmed that Spacey’s talent agency of the last eight years, CAA, and his publicist, publicist Staci Wolfe, of Polaris, have parted ways with the actor.
Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.