Why George Clooney hasn’t taken a leading role in over a year


Posted on: November 7th, 2017 by ABC News No Comments

ABC/Randy Holmes(LOS ANGELES) — If you look at George Clooney’s IMDB page, the Oscar-winning actor hasn’t taken a leading role since Money Monster in May of last year.

In a new interview with The Sunday Times, he explains why he’s limiting his on-air screen time.

“I acted for a long time and, you know, I’m 56. I’m not the guy that gets the girl anymore,” he said, adding, “I shouldn’t be the guy that gets the girl.”

This doesn’t mean he won’t consider amazing roles. He was also very honest about his current financial state.

“If somebody’s got Paul Newman in The Verdict, I’d jump,” he said of the 1982 film that earned Newman an Oscar for best actor. “But there aren’t that many like that. Acting used to be how I paid the rent, but I sold a tequila company for a billion f—- dollars. I don’t need money.”

Clooney was referring to Casamigos, the tequila company he founded with Rande Gerber, which sold last June to British company Diageo for $1 billion.

“If you asked us four years ago if we had a billion-dollar company, I don’t think we would have said yes,” Clooney said in a statement to ABC News this summer. “This reflects Diageo’s belief in our company and our belief in Diageo.”

Instead of starring in films, Clooney directed Suburbicon, which underperformed at the box office.

He also worked as a producer on the female reboot Ocean’s Eight, and in 2012 won an Oscar as the co-producer of Ben Affleck’s Argo.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.