House fire in Michigan City believed to be electrical


Posted on: October 4th, 2017 by News@wimsradio.com No Comments

On Monday at around 2:00 PM, the Michigan City Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire at the 100 block of Hendricks. Upon arrival, firefighters found a single story ranch home with heavy smoke and flames showing. The initial arriving fire companies found significant smoke conditions and a fire in the living and kitchen area. The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes, and appears to have started in the living room, according to Fire Marshall Kyle Kazmierczak.  The cause of the fire appears to be electrical.  Only one resident was home at the time of the fire and she was awaken by the sound of the smoke detector and was able to evacuate the home.

Public Information Officer Tony Drzewiecki stated that a smoke alarm is critical for the early detection of a fire in your home and could mean the difference between life and death, and in this case it proved to be an important factor in saving a life.  Fires can occur in a variety of ways and in any room of your home. But no matter where or how, having a smoke alarm is the first key step towards your family’s safety.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Carlson\'s Drive In Michigan City
Carlson\'s Drive In Michigan City