YouTube star Logan Paul on suicide video backlash: "I am a good guy who made a bad decision"


Posted on: February 1st, 2018 by ABC News No Comments

Freeform(NEW YORK) — YouTube star Logan Paul said he believes the backlash he has received over a video he posted last year “happened for a reason,” and has vowed to turn the experience into a new personal mission.

ABC’s Good Morning America anchor Michael Strahan spoke to Paul exclusively, and he opened up about the knocks he’s taken — both online and to his wallet  — after posting a Dec. 31 vlog, which appeared to show a lifeless, hanging body in Japan’s so-called suicide forest.

“I think that reason [it happened] is so I could… spread the message the right way about suicide prevention and suicide prevention awareness,” he said in the GMA interview.

Paul, 22, has repeatedly accepted the blame for the video in question.

“It’s not like I’m a bad guy. I am a good guy who made a bad decision,” he said.

 “It’s been tough, cause ironically I’m being told to commit suicide myself,” he revealed. “Millions of people literally telling me…”  And Paul said he deserves the criticism.

“This has been…the hardest time in my life,” he said. “…I can, will and am going to learn from it and be a better person.”

Paul has taken to social media and other online platforms to apologize repeatedly this year.  On Jan. 1 he wrote a letter to fans, saying he never intended to anger anyone.  He later followed up with a video apology, and tweeted on January 3: “Taking time to reflect. No vlog for now. See you soon.”

After a self-imposed hiatus, Paul returned to YouTube last week with a heartfelt video that focused on suicide prevention, and an interview with a man who had attempted suicide. Paul also pledged to donate a million dollars to various charities — the first installment of which, $250,000 to the National Suicide Hotline, was paid last week.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.