Attorney general announces elder fraud crackdown


Posted on: March 7th, 2019 by ABC News No Comments

Chainarong Prasertthai/iStock(WASHINGTON) — In announcing the largest Justice Department sweep ever of elder fraud cases on Thursday, Attorney General William Barr highlighted an example of how the scams work and how DOJ is cracking down on them:

When 95-year-old William Webster picked up the phone, on the other end was someone who told him he’d just won millions of dollars and a new luxury car.

The catch: He would have to send him $50,000 as the Washington Post first reported .

The only problem for the scammers was that Webster was not one of their typical elderly victims. He had served as both director of the FBI and CIA – and with that, had lots of contacts in law enforcement. With his help, authorities eventually flipped the script on the scammer.

“I know how they feel when they’re caught in a difficult situation,” Webster said at a roundtable Barr hosted at the Department of Justice.

“They picked on the wrong person,” Barr said. “The Websters got law enforcement involved and those fraudsters are behind bars.”

The Justice Department said victims were targeted based on their advanced age and that the schemes lead to financial loss for victims.

Victims lived across the country — from California to Rhode Island — and the sweep led to 225 defendants getting charged.

The most common fraud, authorities said, was a “technical support” scam based in India.

“That scheme operates by fraudulently inducing U.S. consumers and others around the world to purchase phony or otherwise misrepresented technical support services related to computers and in certain cases to make further payments based on additional fraudulent misrepresentations,” court documents from one of the many cases that DOJ highlighted.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, 142,000 consumer complaints were registered as a result in 2018.

Barr said even he had been a victim of one of the scams in 2017. While he was not attorney general at the time, fraudsters asked for money using his old official portrait.

Barr highlighted the story at his round table.

“People took my official Justice Department portrait from 1992, so I was looking pretty good in 1992 and they put it up on Facebook and other online sites and I was telling people as the former Attorney General I had access to special federal grant money and if they just sent some money I could tell them how to get some major grants,” he explained.

Barr said he had the pages taken down, but from time to time even leading up to when he was nominated to be Attorney General he would get calls from people around the country which he called “heartbreaking.”

Barr was featured in a ABC Affiliate WJLA story about the topic.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

WIMS